Thursday 21 January 2016

Step by Step - The Exposed roots of a tree, a Charcoal sketching


During my last visit to Karnala Bird Sanctuary I made it a point to click some beautiful photographs of trees. All kinds of trees. I was particular about the composition and also was interested in the light source and shadows. From my previous experience and having created so many artworks in the last two years, I knew what exactly I was looking for.

The Charcoal sketching as below is with reference to one such tree which had these beautiful
exposed roots spreading out in different angles. The roots that keep the tree grounded.

Once again I have photographed the painting during its various stages of creation. This time
around I made use of my General charcoal pencil and made a few observations about it
as compared to Camel charcoal pencil.

General charcoal pencil is more soft, darker in tone/value and spreads more uniformly on the
paper. From now on I plan to use this pencil on a regular basis to create my charcoal works.


Step 1 Charcoal sketching of exposed roots of a tree by Manju Panchal

Step 2 - Charcoal sketching of exposed roots of a tree by Manju Panchal

Step 3 - Charcoal sketching of exposed roots of a tree by Manju Panchal

Grounded
Charcoal and white soft pastel sketching on Canson Mi Teintes paper.
Size 5" X  7"

This sketching suddenly reminded me of a soft pastel painting which I did last year
with reference to my COORG photograph. This tree was part of the coffee plantation
near our homestay.

soft pastel painting of exposed roots by Manju Panchal

Soft pastel painting from past.

2 comments:

  1. awesome charcoal work by you . like the art too much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the appreciation. Virtual voyage

    ReplyDelete