Wednesday 13 January 2016

The dappled sunlight on the tree trunk


When the rays of sunlight hit the forest they filter gently through the leaves and the dense branches, creating patches of warm glow on the tree trunk. The light and contrast play creates beautiful abstract patterns on the tree and I have tried to capture the magical glow through my Charcoal sketching as given below.

I have used Canson Mi Teintes paper for the art work and the following tools,
  • Camel charcoal pencil
  • Conte a Paris white pastel pencil
  • Kneaded eraser
  • Blending tool or tortillon
Canson paper has a sandy surface and charcoals and pastels work good on them.They are available in many different shades but somehow I have got stuck to using the dark grey one.


A charcoal sketching of a tree trunk by Manju Panchal

The dappled sunlight
Charcoal and white pastel sketching on Canson paper
Size 5" X 7"

My love and fascination for drawing and sketching trees continues to grow. It all started in the year 2014 when I was beginning to get into landscape paintings. I needed to study tree anatomy before getting to paint them. The best way to understand them was to do tonal study. I started it then and do it even now as I find it very relaxing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment