Tuesday 28 April 2015

Study sketches for my future paintings of Spiti Valley

For quite some time now I have been busy creating landscapes with emphasis on forests, trees etc. Now for a change I want to make some paintings from the scenic Spiti valley in Himachal Pradesh. We made a trip there in June 2013 visiting some amazing places like Nako, Tabo, Kaza etc. 

Before embarking on a new subject I try to get comfortable with the elements in the landscapes by doing a series of Quick study sketches OR thumbnail sketches. Given below are a few sketches mostly sized 4" x 5". Doing these sketches helps me in to understand the colours and values, the light and shadow and in general it helps me to take a decision regarding the scenes which I can enlarge 
to create a bigger art work.

Once I have handled the difficult issues while doing a small sketch, creating a larger painting gets a lot more easier and that way I I know for sure that I will not be overusing my pastels on the paper which in turn creates a muddy effect. 

Thumbnail sketches or quick study sketches of places in SPITI valley in Himachal pradesh by Manju Panchal

Study sketches created from my journey to SPITI valley in Himachal Pradesh

No comments:

Post a Comment