Monday 22 August 2016

A cloudy day at Colva beach ( Goa ) - A soft pastel painting

Getting dusty with soft pastels.


Last year in August/September we were at Goa enjoying the beautiful pristine beaches. One evening at Colva beach, I got to capture the elegantly floating delicate clouds in the sky. I had it in mind to paint it some day and my recent soft pastel workshop provided me the opportunity to recreate this scene. It was part of demo work which I completed later on by adding a few more finishing touches.

Painting "Clouds in the sky" has been in my "To do" list for long. However in most of the landscapes that I have created earlier, I have been focusing on forests, mountains and other elements of nature. Hence I enjoyed doing this seascape from Goa where my main focus has been on clouds. The whole painting is more or less done using a very limited palette ie shades of blues and a few violets. It was a rainy day and all I wanted was to get the feel of the atmosphere. 

A Soft pastel painting of cloudy day at Colva beach from Goa by Manju Panchal

A cloudy day 
Soft pastel painting on Canson Mi Teintes paper
Size 6"X 8"

While at Goa, we got to visit many different beaches and I have a big collection of my personal photographs and sketches. It is not always possible to do a plein air sketch as there are so many factors being involved, weather being one. Therefore the next best option is to photograph the scene that you fall in love with. 

Last year in the month of December I attempted a simple scene at Vaddi beach ( Goa ) using the water colour medium. I enjoy all different mediums and if I have to decide regarding which one I enjoy the most, it will get difficult for me to specify ANY ONE. When I am working with charcoals I get deeply engrossed in my black and white works and then when I shift to pastels I feel the same enthusiasm. I guess many artists go through the same emotions. On the whole it if fun shifting from one medium to another as it breaks the routine of getting saturated and gets freshness in the work.

Presently I am also working on an incomplete "Portrait work" which I shall be hopefully uploading soon as it is nearing completion.

Ending the post with a beautiful quote.

"An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision." James Whistler

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank the author for providing valuable information about a cloudy day at Colva Beach, Goa, in their intriguing blog. The insights shared have been truly insightful for travelers seeking to explore this enchanting destination. In my business of rent a car in kolkata, we offer a diverse fleet of vehicles, ensuring convenient and reliable transportation options for individuals to discover Kolkata and enjoy memorable journeys to places like Colva Beach.

    ReplyDelete