Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Gullfoss waterfall ( Iceland ) - A soft pastel painting


Gullfoss ( Golden waterfall ) is situated in Iceland. This iconic waterfall offers a spectacular 
view of the forces and beauty of untouched nature.

This is my first attempt at painting a waterfall in soft pastel medium. The photograph that
I used as a reference has been taken by my husband while he was there a few years back.
Being a cloudy day, the photograph did not do much justice and it had mostly shades of grey.
I have added colours after doing my own study. 

The subject being a little out of my "Comfort zone", I reminded myself to go ahead step by 
step in a very patient manner.However as the painting progressed, the confusion increased.
I did manage to complete this work but it did not match my "Visualisation" or the image that
I painted in my mind. This work has an abstract feel to it. 

Nevertheless it was a great learning experience and I am ready to paint some more waterfall
paintings. Mistakes happen and they happen for a good reason. It helps you learn better.

Joseph Zbukvic, a world famous water colour artist said in one of his interviews
 "If you succeed everytime, you are not painting properly...."


soft pastel painting of Gullfoss waterfall ( Iceland ) by Manju Panchal

Gullfoss
Soft pastel painting on Canson Mi Teintes paper
Size 6.5" X 8.5" 

" I don't say everything, but I paint everything." Pablo Piccaso


No comments:

Post a Comment