Monday 18 July 2016

A seashore at Bamboo island ( Thailand )


"Nature holds the key to our aesthetic, intellectual, cognitive and even spiritual satisfaction." 
By E. O. Wilson

The white sandy pristine beaches of Bamboo island ( Thailand ) are a very inspiring subject to me.
I visited this beautiful place quite recently during out Phi Phi Leh tour. I want to paint a whole series on these calm and serene beaches. The soft pastel painting below is created on an orange coloured Canson Mi Teintes paper. I selected this particular photograph for its sky, the tall trees on the right and the colours of the sea.

I edited the photograph using the Aviary App as I wanted the composition to be right. One third land and two third sky. While photographing a scene that appeals to me, I take care of the composition but many a times it is not possible as there is not enough time to focus and adjust the various parameters. Hence the next best option is to click and later edit it. The beach was overcrowded but I decided to go ahead with my art without the figures. Will add them in my later works.

Every subject that I select to paint has something new to offer, a different sky, a different perspective, the colours, the atmosphere.This brings about a little change in my normal routine technique and at
times I am forced to do things beyond my comfort zone. I find it exciting. I have also shortlisted a
few works with rocks at the seashore which I will be doing soon.

A soft pastel painting of a seashore on Canson Mi Teintes paper, By Manju Panchal

The Calm waters
Soft pastel painting on Canson Mi Teintes paper.
Size 5" X 7"

Pastels are a great medium to work with and I am truly enjoying working with them. Presently
I am a lot into Canson Mi Teintes paper but some day I would love to try the sanded papers 
which can taken in more than two layers. Some very popular ones are UART and Wallis sanded
papers. To know more about different pastel products one can visit Dakota Pastels which deals mainly with pastel products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment