Sunday 22 January 2017

Willow charcoal drawing and sketching - A demo work

"An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision." James McNeill Whistler

Some time back I created a charcoal demo for the participants who were attending my art workshop.
The initial "BLOCK IN" was done using just "willow charcoal".

Once the values were in place, I used the Camlin pencil to create bold marks to create grass keeping in mind the pressure as I receded in the background. I find willow charcoal extremely useful to create quick charcoal study works.


A charcoal pencil and willow charcoal drawing of a landscape by Manju Panchal

Charcoal study work ( wetlands ) on cartridge sheet
Size 12"X 16"

I am also posting an image of the charcoal drawing in its initial stages when I have used only willow charcoal to set the values in place.

Using willow charcoal to block in the major shapes in a landscape

Willow charcoal work on Cartridge paper


 The willow charcoal as used by me

Every time I create a charcoal landscape, I experiment a little. I try out some new technique. The idea is to get the right effect that I am looking for. It could be texture or background, or a different kind of foliage. It is lot of fun. There is always an excitement about the outcome. Every time I create an artwork, I learn something new. So it is very interesting ie drawing, painting and learning all at the same time.

CLICK HERE to view the tools that I use to create my charcoal drawings.

My Coorg Soft pastel landscape is almost done and I am also starting new pastel works sized 
11"X 15". Will be posting the completed work soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment