Tuesday 21 April 2015

Drawing and sketching - using charcoal and white pastel pencil

Drawing and sketching plays a very important role in any artist's life. In fact from my personal experience I know how I have ended spending hours and hours rectifying a painting only because right at the start I did a drawing which had errors.

This present work on exposed roots of a tree, is done using

  • Conte charcoal pencil
  • General charcoal pencil
  • General soft pastel white pencil
  • Kneaded eraser
  • Staedtler charcoal pencil
The paper used is a textured hand made paper.

Charcoal and soft pastel work on hand made paper. by Manju Panchal

Exposed roots
Charcoal and soft pastel on hand made paper
Size 5" x 7"

Trees are an important part of landscape drawing. I find it very challenging. Each tree has its unique features, barks, character and an identity of its own. It feels great to define its form and shape by using charcoals and pastels on paper. The more I draw and sketch the more it helps me in my understanding of landscape paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment