Friday 6 November 2020

Charcoal drawing of a forest scene on Strathmore 300 series drawing paper

“There’s nothing like drawing a thing to make you really see it.” Margaret Atwood 

Years back, I got into charcoal medium and got fascinated by it versatility. Initially I started off with just a pencil and charcoal powder but as years progressed, I went on to explore different tools and developed my own technique to create my Charcoal drawings

Presently I am more into water color paintings which is one of the most challenging mediums, however I do take out time in between to get back to my charcoal art. It’s a very satisfying experience as it helps in simplifying a complicated composition. Once I know my basic tonal values of the subject, it makes it easier to paint the scene using any other medium. 

Posted below are two of my charcoal drawings of  “Forest scenes”, with reference to my travel photographs.

Charcoal drawing of a forest scene on Strathmore drawing paper

A walk along the road 
A charcoal drawing on Strathmore drawing paper 
Size 4” X 5”

Charcoal drawing of a forest scene on Strathmore drawing paper

Along the road
A charcoal drawing on Strathmore drawing paper 
Size 4.5” X 5.5”

There are some charcoal tools which I use on a regular basis as shown below and these are easily available on Online stores.

Charcoal pencils, blending tool and kneaded eraser

Camlin and General charcoal pencil
Blending tool
Kneaded eraser

Charcoal powder used for charcoal drawing

Charcoal powder 

Willow charcoal

Willow charcoal 
( Local Chinese brand )

On December 2016, I created a detailed post regarding the common tools used by me for my charcoal drawings. CLICK HERE to browse through the same.

If you wish to see all my artworks in Gallery format, visit my INSTAGRAM site where I post my works on a regular basis. Thanks for visiting my blog and browsing through my artworks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment