Wednesday 11 November 2020

Limestone Rocks and cliffs ( Vietnam )

“Watercolor condenses time and consolidates experience.” Frank Marcello

 While at Cam Pha sea port during his last voyage, my husband got to witness the beautiful prehistoric “Limestone Rocks”, it’s reflections and the sudden ripple in the waves caused by a passing vessel. His cargo ship had arrived there at inner anchorage for loading cargo for the next destination. He sent me a few photographs of these stunning rocks and cliffs, which dotted the sea all around and I used them as a reference to create the two water colour paintings as below. 

As mentioned in my earlier posts, I have got pretty much used to working on Chitrapat handmade paper and have taken a strong liking to it. My technique involves working wet on wet and this paper holds a lot of water and stays wet for a longer time. It’s acid free and is made of 100% cotton fibre. It works good for me. I purchase Chitrapat paper from maxa-enterprises ( online store at Pune ), however there a lot many online stores today who sell the same paper so it’s great that one can easily order it online.

Limestone rocks at Cam Pha port, a water color painting

Limestone Rocks at Cam Pha Sea Port
A water colour painting on Chitrapat handmade paper 
Size 5” X 7”

Wave Ripples - A watercolor painting on Chitrapat handmade paper

Wave Ripples
A water colour painting on Chitrapat handmade paper 
Size 5” X 7”

For most of my watercolor paintings, I use a mix of Winsor and Newton and Camlin Artist watercolor tubes. They are both good in their own ways. If you are a beginner, I would personally recommend Camlin tubes as it is very economical and has great quality too. Given below are my two palettes which I use for both these brands. I like the Majello palette for its large working space instead of having small wells.

Mijello Palette with Winsor and Newton cotman tubes

Mijello Palette ( Winsor and Newton watercolors )

Mijello Palette

Mijello Palette ( Closed )

Watercolor palette with Camlin Artist’s water color tubes

Palette with Camlin Artist’s water color tubes

Follow my latest works and techniques on INSTAGRAM and if you are interested in attending my online demo workshop send me a mail at manjupanchal5@gmail.com and I shall get back to you with details about the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment