Monday 6 June 2016

Maya Bay ( Phi Phi Leh )


Maya Bay is a stunningly beautiful bay that is sheltered by 100 meter cliffs on all three sides. The
whole bay is one big reef. It is part of Phi Phi Leh ( Thailand ). "The Beach" was filmed here in
1999 which has increased its popularity.

I have used charcoal medium to recreate this scene as I saw it while on our recent Phi Phi Leh tour.
The beach was crowded, but I wanted to sketch it with just one boat entering the Bay ( Under the
cliffs on the left ). I have also added a two people on the left of the beach to understand the relative
size of the cliffs in comparison. This sketching is more of a study work or preliminary work and
I have done it to understand the value scale. I will be creating a soft pastel painting of this Bay
very soon referring to a different view.

Charcoal sketching of Maya Bay on Fabriano paper by Manju Panchal

Maya Bay ( Phi Phi Leh )
Charcoal sketching on Fabriano Academia paper.
Size 6" X 8"

The map below shows the location of Phi Phi Leh and Phi Phi Don. Most tourists stay at Phi Phi Don
and go to Phi Phi Leh by a long tail boat or a speedboat. Phi Phi Leh is uninhabited, beautiful and 
nothing short of a paradise.

Maya Bay map ( Phi Phi Leh )


I have used a sheet from the Fabriano pad as below. This pad has 50 sheets sized 6" X 8" and 120 gsm. It has a textured surface and charcoal works well on this paper. I have created a post earlier on
the papers I use for charcoal sketching and you can CLICK here to view it.

Fabriano Academia 120gsm, 50 sheets in pad ( for charcoal sketching )

Fabriano Sketching pad.

Quotation

"The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless."
Jean Jaques Rousseau


No comments:

Post a Comment