Monday 27 June 2016

Creating and storing Thumbnail sketches

"Good drawing forms the 'bones' on which a strong painting hangs." Chris Bingle

My blogging has taken a backseat. I am busy creating several thumbnail sketches or studyworks
so that I can start a fresh series of "ARTWORKS". Posting individual sketch can be a tedious task.
Therefore I group some of them together after editing, which makes blogging more convenient.

As I mentioned in my previous post, only some of my study sketches get converted into serious
artwork. In the sketches below there are scenes from Iceland, Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary, Panchgani and Phi Phi Leh. 

Four out of six of these painting have appealed to me with respect to composition and colours so I may go ahead and paint them soon on black Canson Mi Teintes paper.


Thumbnail sketches of landscapes created on Canson paper, By Manju Panchal

Thumbnail sketches or Study sketches of Landscapes
on Canson Mi Teintes paper
Size 3.5" X 4.5"

I have been painting for several years now and "Thumbnail sketches" was not part of my routine until the year 2014. Slowly and steadily as I worked my way up the ladder, I realised that spending
a few minutes at creating a preliminary sketch takes care of lot of issues and helps the
final art piece to reach its desired stage. In other words nine out of my ten works reach completion.

Storing thumbnail sketches was a big concern in the beginning. So I came up with the idea of
using my old "Photo Albums". It worked really well for me.


Old Photo Albums
for storing Thumbnail sketches.

After completing the sketch I normally lift the polythene sheet carefully and then slide the 
painting inside from the open side. As the sketch is created in soft pastels, there is always a 
chance of its getting smudged, however the smudging is negligible and it can be easily
corrected if required. 

I have posted below two images of some of my initial study works in 2014when I was deeply 
into landscape study. It is a pleasure at times to go through some of the past works. 



Old Photo Albums, now used for storing
my Thumbnail sketches created in
Soft pastel medium.

Thanks for visiting my blog and browsing through my works. Do leave a comment to let me know how you store your artworks?

No comments:

Post a Comment