Wednesday 18 May 2016

Gullfoss waterfall ( Iceland ) - A soft pastel painting


Gullfoss ( Golden waterfall ) is situated in Iceland. This iconic waterfall offers a spectacular 
view of the forces and beauty of untouched nature.

This is my first attempt at painting a waterfall in soft pastel medium. The photograph that
I used as a reference has been taken by my husband while he was there a few years back.
Being a cloudy day, the photograph did not do much justice and it had mostly shades of grey.
I have added colours after doing my own study. 

The subject being a little out of my "Comfort zone", I reminded myself to go ahead step by 
step in a very patient manner.However as the painting progressed, the confusion increased.
I did manage to complete this work but it did not match my "Visualisation" or the image that
I painted in my mind. This work has an abstract feel to it. 

Nevertheless it was a great learning experience and I am ready to paint some more waterfall
paintings. Mistakes happen and they happen for a good reason. It helps you learn better.

Joseph Zbukvica world famous water colour artist said in one of his interviews
 "If you succeed everytime, you are not painting properly...."


soft pastel painting of Gullfoss waterfall ( Iceland ) by Manju Panchal

Gullfoss
Soft pastel painting on Canson Mi Teintes paper
Size 6.5" X 8.5" 

" I don't say everything, but I paint everything." Pablo Piccaso


No comments:

Post a Comment