Friday 13 May 2016

Dhankar Monastery in Spiti Valley

The soft pastel painting as below has been inspired by my visit to Dhankar Monastery which is
in Spiti valley ( Himachal Pradesh ).

From Shimla to Kunzum pass, we had a memorable journey three years back. On the way
we got the opportunity to see some spectacular mountain views especially in Spiti valley.
I have a great number of photographs shortlisted for painting and the one below is one of
them. The white houses against the backdrop of the mountains in shadow made for a
very interesting composition.

Dhankar Monastery is situated at an elevation of 3890 metres, between the towns of Kaza 
and Tabo, in Spiti Valley of Himachal Pradesh. It stands precariously on the fragile
mountains which are slowly weathering. There is a tar road connecting to Kaza, so one 
can visit this place by a four wheel drive. The place is quiet and the view is captivating
all around. 

Original soft pastel painting of Dhankar Monastery from Himachal By Manju Panchal

Dhankar Monastery
Soft Pastel painting on Canson Mi Teintes paper.
Size 6" X 8"

As of now I am taking a break from my forest paintings and am trying to do more of
Mountainscapes. Recently came across a beautiful blog GEOTRIPPER by Garry Hayes,
a teacher of Geology. The blog is very informative and I enjoyed going through it.
Wetcanvas.com is another great site for artists looking for information.

The next painting on my list is another scene from Phi Phi Leh with limestone cliffs
and turquoise blue waters. I also wish to paint a waterfall scene from Iceland ie
Gulfoss. Iceland was visited by my husband some time back and I have some amazing
photographs from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment