Monday 16 May 2016

A dry leaf and its shadow


When I started with my landscape paintings in 2014 I realised that needed to work on tree
anatomy, mountains, sky etc as these are some of the major elements in a landscape painting.
Therefore I went on to do a whole lot of tree trunk sketches on toned paper which 
eventually helped me a lot. 

Similarly doing a " Leaf series" has always been playing on my mind. So the the recent " DPW challenge " Explore your Garden" challenge kind of helped me achieve this desire too.

I took out one of my toned Canson papers and created a simple sketch of a curled up leaf
which is in its initial stages of drying up. I decided on the view as seen from top so that
I could capture the shadow as well which made a very neat composition with sharp edges.

Sketching this leaf reminded me so much of my still life works. I followed almost the same
step by step procedure using a charcoal pencil and a white pastel pencil. The movement of
the pencil on the smooth side of the paper gave me the desired texture that I wanted.


Charcoal and white pastel pencil sketching of a leaf by Manju Panchal

Curled up
Charcoal and white pastel pencil sketching on Canson paper.
Size 4" X 5"

A beautiful quote

"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home" By Twyla Tharp

I draw, sketch and paint on a regular basis. I decide on the "Subject" that appeals to me. There
is no rule, no regulation, no routine that I follow. What I follow is my heart. My mind speaks
to me. Decisions change in a few moments. Sometimes I sleep in the night after having
programmed myself for a pastel work but in the morning something catches my eye and I go
on to do a different medium altogether.

Today I am sketching a leaf but I know there are two pastel paintings which are in progress. 
However that can wait. It will all happen at its time. A hasty approach to a painting can
ruin it right at the beginning. I will be posting another leaf sketch soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment