Friday, 13 February 2015

Few thumbnail sketches for my future paintings.

I have an exhibition coming up in March and then in May. Hence I need to make a few more landscapes since my theme is going to be NATURE based. 

Having shortlisted my subjects ie from my reference photographs, I have decided to do a couple 
of thumbnail sketches before actually beginning my paintings. Landscape unlike still life 
and portrait paintings is essentially made of so many different elements and added upon that
there is background, foreground, perspective etc. Making a thumbnail sketch helps me plan 
my procedure better. The steps I follow in creating a small sketch then eases out my technique 
later. It also helps me to improve on my technique and to tackle issues which otherwise would 
get complicated.

Given below are three different thumbnail sketches from COORG and during the course of 
creating them I also took the liberty to subtract a few elements which I felt would have reduced 
the overall beauty in some way. I used leftover cutout pieces of Canson paper for the same 
and avoided spending more than fifteen minutes on each of them. When I finally create a 
bigger piece of art work referring to these sketches, I would be adding more details.


Soft Pastel Thumbnail sketch of a landscape from COORG by Manju Panchal

Soft Pastel Thumbnail sketch of a landscape from COORG by Manju Panchal

Soft Pastel Thumbnail sketch of a landscape from COORG by Manju Panchal

Three thumbnail sketches from COORG photographs
created on 3" X 4" Canson paper using soft pastels

All images on this blog are © Manju Panchal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment