Sunday 8 February 2015

Three steps to creating a painting

Under normal circumstances I follow a simple three step procedure to create a painting as I have done for the present soft pastel painting from a Coorg Photograph.

1. I select a photograph from my collection, mainly looking for a good composition.
    For the painting as below I selected a photograph which we took while we were on our
    Coorg holidays ( Karnataka).Then I cropped the photograph as I liked only a part of the
   photograph, ie the vertical section in one corner. This painting will now replace an old
   painting in a ready frame.                

2. Next I create a small thumbnail sketch or study sketch with soft pastels just to get an idea
    as to where I would be putting in my colours and how the painting would eventually look.
    Main purpose is to get the composition right and to get satisfied with the values.
    This takes roughly about five to ten minutes and I do not do any details.

Thumbnail sketching done before creating a painting by Manju Panchal

Thumbnail sketch
Size 3" X 5"

3. When satisfied, I cut out my required sheet which in this case was a dark grey coloured 
    Canson Mi Tentes paper. Then following the photograph I first sketch the painting using
    a white pastel pencil. Then step by step I put in the colours, concentrating on the values. 
    After adding the first layer of colours and a bit of details I normally photgraph it with my 
    mobile and then analyse it for further corrections. Sometimes I just keep it at a distance and 
    view it several times and it helps in doing the finishing touches. But it always happens that 
    after I have framed the painting I feel, " Wish I had added a little green here and so on.....". 

Original soft pastel painting of Coorg landscape with trees, By Manju Panchal

Reaching the skies
Soft pastel painting on Canson paper
Size 8" X 13"


No comments:

Post a Comment