Monday 25 November 2019

A Thumbnail sketch of a tree using soft pastel medium

" Learn character from trees, values from roots and change from leaves." Tasneem Hameed

Thumbnail sketch is a reduced version of the final painting which I plan to create in future. It is called a thumbnail sketch because it is meant to be small, for ex 3” X 4” OR 4” X 5”. I generally prefer to go by the size 4” X 5” size.

In the past I was not aware about creating these small study works and would directly get into painting the final size. As a result, many a times after completing the work I would realize that

-Composition was flawed
-Supporting elements were not supporting
-Depth was lacking
-Tonal values inappropriate etc

It gets pretty difficult to make changes in a painting once it is complete. Hence these days I have made it a habit to follow my ritual of creating a "Thumbnail sketch" before starting the actual final painting.

To Summarize, I feel the advantages of creating “Thumbnail Sketches” are many such as,
  • It helps visualize the final painting
  • Helps to explore the effects of adding and subtracting elements from the painting 
  • It’s a mental warm up
  • Helps save a lot of time and effort
  • A great planning tool
  • Helps simplify a complicated scene

Today's post is a small study of a beautiful ancient tree in one of the coastal roads leading to Majorda beach in Goa. I knew it then and there that I would paint this tree some day. As of now I have only created a small study to simplify the tree trunk, the branches and the background. Some day later, I can refer to this creation in order to create a bigger version of the same painting.

Thumbnail sketch of a tree using a reference photograph from Goa

The reference photo above along with the thumbnail sketch.

Thumbnail sketch of an old banyan tree on Canson Mi Teintes paper, by Indian artist Manju Panchal

A soft pastel thumbnail sketch of "A Tree"
On Canson Mi Teintes paper
Size 3” X 4.5”

Thank you for browsing through my artworks and to view my latest works and techniques visit my INSTAGRAM feed.

I take Art workshop in different mediums from time to time and if you are interested in joining any, please DM on instagram page OR mail me at manjupanchal5@gmail.com


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thumbnail sketch you done. I love artwork. But never participate or times this work. I appreciate you and your dedication.

    ReplyDelete