Friday 2 September 2016

Experimenting with water colour medium in my new sketch book

New sketch book.


On my recent visit to "Art Station" the art stationery shop, a new sketch book caught my eye and I decided to purchase it. It has 4" X 5.5" cartridge sheets and is slightly different from my previous sketch book which I have been using all this while. It is in my nature to try out something new. It is very exciting and it brings about a change in the otherwise mundane routine.

Sketch books are fun as I get to experiment and explore while creating small little works in a short period of time. I was not much of a sketch book person earlier. It is only much later that I got inspired by this "Idea" which was being so much talked about by many other artists around the world. As of now I am addicted to scribbling, sketching and creating lot many odd works in my sketchbook. Some days when I am doing nothing I just sit back and relax, browsing through one of my old sketchbooks which stirs beautiful memories related to all the work that I created in the past.

Given below is the image of my new sketch book and a few paintings that I created. Each painting that I chose to do was with a specific purpose in mind ( As mentioned below each work ). The time spent on each of them was anything between fifteen to twenty minutes. I also write a small note underneath each of my work with respect to technique or some new lesson that I learnt while creating it. 

new water colour sketch book by Manju Panchal

New Sketch book.

water colour study work by Manju Panchal

Trying out the painting of a Door

water colour study work by Manju Panchal in a new sketch book

Experimenting with warm sky

water colour study work by Manju Panchal in a new sketch book

Understanding the background ( hazy look )

water colour study work of Pangong lake by Manju Panchal

The mountains and lake

water colour study work of a scene from Karnala Bird Sanctuary by Manju Panchal

Trying out some simple technique
to create a forest scene

water colour study work of a scene from Karnala Bird Sanctuary by Manju Panchal

Understanding the difference between the 
background and the foreground.

The last two study works are created using my photographs which I clicked using my mobile camera while I was at Karnala Bird Sanctuary with my family members. These small studies help me a lot in understanding the steps that I will follow in future to recreate this scene on a large paper. 

I am also posting below an image of my water colour palette which looks real messy but I manage to find all my colours in it. I clean up the bigger pockets before mixing a new colour in it. All colours in the palette are from Camlin artists water colour tubes.

water colour palette as used by Manju Panchal

Water colour palette.

A beautiful quote that I came across recently and really loved it. 

"It took me a few seconds to draw it, but it took me 34 years to learn how to draw it in a few seconds." - Paula Scher

No comments:

Post a Comment