Monday 17 October 2016

Two landscape study works in charcoal medium

Two study works using the charcoal medium.


Composition, colours and value. They all play a very significant role in creating a good artwork. In order to get a better understanding of a landscape, I generally go for a thumbnail sketch or a study work which I create in different mediums. This time I decided to do a value sketch using willow charcoal, charcoal pencil and charcoal powder. 

Both these sketches are sized 4.5" X 5.5" and will serve as reference when I will recreate these subjects in colours using soft pastels. 

Charcoal study work of a landscape from Coorg by Manju Panchal

Tonal value sketch of a scene from Coorg
A study work

Charcoal study work of a landscape from Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary by Manju Panchal

Tonal value sketch of a scene from Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary
A study work


"I sometimes think there is nothing so delightful as drawing."  Vincent Van Gogh

I totally agree with the words as quoted above. Drawing and sketching is the foundation to art. As the drawing gets better so does the painting. I enjoyed creating the charcoal sketches such as above and I may do my future "Thumbnail sketches" too in charcoal medium.

To view my selected artworks you can visit my gallery at DEVIANTART

No comments:

Post a Comment