Sunday 20 March 2016

Exposed roots - A study work on Canson Mi Teintes paper


I came across this tree when I last visited Karnala Bird Sanctuary. It is a fairly simple 
composition and I have used a beige coloured Canson Mi Teintes paper this time for a 
change. The colour of the paper acts as the mid tone value. The brightest shade is achieved
by using the white pastel pencil and the darker shades are obtained by scribbling with 
Camlin and General soft charcoal pencil.

I have done little blending at places but mostly used the pencil strokes to achieve the bark
effect. I do these works very often and call them study works because everytime I do one of 
these I try out some different stroke or effect in an attempt to evolve my technique and to learn something further.


Charcoal and white pastel sketching of tree trunk on Canson paper, By Manju Panchal

Charcoal and pastel study work.
Size 5" X 7" 

In my last post I wrote about having purchased the water soluble graphite sticks by Camlin
I am posting an image of the same below ( Courtesy google.com )

Camlin water soluble graphite sticks.

The pack has three graphite broad diameter sticks. I would have preferred something thinner as creating strokes can get difficult with these. So the next better option was to sharpen the tip of 
one of these. I have used it to create few thumbnail sketches which I will be posting soon.

When I see a new product such as this, I buy it off instantly because if it works good with
me and my kind of works then I know I can incorporate it along with some other medium later.
I think I can combine this with my normal graphite pencil to create small forest sketches. It is
a THOUGHT PROCESS which may eventually work out. Trying out new materials and techniques is a great way of challenging oneself and I truly enjoy doing these things.

Thanks for browsing.

No comments:

Post a Comment